“Activity Tracker” - Punchclock & Time Management gadget

UPDATE: A newer version of Activity Tracker called “Activity Tracker Plus” is available. Activity Tracker Plus is more reliable and robust. It also includes a social client “Activity Tracker Plus Social” that will let you share your daily log on your blog or any opensocial social networking platform including orkut, hi5, Friendster, MySpace etc in real time.

Activity Tracker is available for iGoogle, Netvibes and Windows Vista sidebar.

Thanks lifehacker for featuring us !!

Thanks webworkerdaily for naming us as one of the 15 iGoogle productive gadgets !!

Looking for “Todo List with Google Maps”… It’s here

“Activity Tracker” is a punchclock google/Netvibes gadget that can track your daily activities. You are using google everyday.. so why not have this gadget show up on your front page .. so you don’t forget to record your time. It is now available for Netvibes too. You can use if for anything you want - Consultants can use it for time reporting, students can use it to track time spent in their homework and others can just use it to analyze how they spend their time. It provides a very simple interface and all you do is punch-in when you start an activity and punch-out when you are done. And of course.. if you are a person who very easily forgets to update your activity - check out the alert feature (available in 4 languages) .

(To add this gadget to your igoogle.com page, just click on “Add to Google” button below the image)

(To add this gadget to your Netvibes page, just click on “netvibes” button below the image)

(To learn more about the Vista version, read my blog here . To add it, you can just click the “vista sidebar” button below the image.)

Activity Tracker

Add to Google

Add to Netvibes

Add to Vista sidebar

It provides loads of cool features that no other gadget provides:

1. Available for both your iGoogle and Netvibes page.
  2. Very simple and intuitive interface - Add your activities and simply punch-in when you start the activity and punch-out when you are done. The gadget takes care of the reporting part.
  3. Graph - Get a graphical view of all your activities. Find out how much time you spent in each activity and a visual picture of where you spend most of your time.
  4. Print - Print out the list of activities along with the graph.
  5. Export as .csv - Export the list of activities as a .csv file for accounting purposes. You can use it to fill your time cards.
  6. Log - Get a log for each activity. Provides you detailed upto the minute log for all your activites. You have the option to print or export as comma separated file. The log also provides the hours in decimal making it easy to calculate the pay. It also provides a weekly report for the activity. The log also includes any notes that you might have specified for each activity.
  7. Add Notes to each activity log -For each task, you have the ability to add a custom note each time you punch-in. Hence you can have as many notes as there are logs. The log is limited to 50 characters.
  8. Drag and Drop - Re-arrange your tasks in any order you want.
  9. Expand & Collapse the task view - All tasks remain collapsed in the main view providing more room and a cleaner interface. You can expand each task by clicking on it. You can have all your 100 tasks and not worry about clobbering your iGoogle page. If you want to see the total time spent in all projects, just click “Graph” and you should see details about all projects.
  10. Keep tasks expanded at all times - For users who prefer to keep the tasks expanded always, you can do so by checking the “Keep Activities expanded” check box.
  11. Editing - Forgot to punch-out. No Problem !!. Just edit the activity and enter the actual time. In addition, you can edit the last entry time and delete or add any new entry if you want. You can also edit the notes for each activity. It provides you complete control over the log entries.
  12. Do you keep forgetting to punch-in or punch-out. No Problem !!.. Set an alert. Just click on the alert link and set your interval. The gadget should remind you periodically to update the activity. You also have the option to select the type of voice.
  13. Automatic toggle between different activities - When you punch-in a particular activity, the gadget automatically punches you out from the other activity.
  14. Reset - A new week starts .. Want to start all over again .. No Problem. Just click on Reset and it should reset all your logs.
  15. Internationalized - Available in different locales.

Continued in next page…

Activity Tracker is a free time management or timesheet gadget. Use it to improve productivity following Getting things done principles. Managing your time efficiently. Capture billable time, capture time spent in writing blogs, time spent on leisure activities. Project management gadget.

Pages: 1 2 3

83 Responses to ““Activity Tracker” - Punchclock & Time Management gadget”

1. 1 Bemly Aug 10th, 2007 at 1:14 pm

Hey Mahin,
    This is cool. It would be nice , if you can insert the starting time in the graph too.

cheers
    Bemly

2. 2 Famal Aug 13th, 2007 at 11:15 am

thanks for a great gadget. this is awesome. very simple and effective. don’t know why i keep clicking on the graph always :)

3. 3 JMUC Aug 25th, 2007 at 9:47 pm

this is awesome. I luv the alert feature… now even if i get carried away in this internet world, i always get alerted to update my timesheet. On the other hand i’am very unhappy that it reminds me constantly that i spend too much time browsing :) ..

4. 4 Natalie Aug 27th, 2007 at 8:24 am

This is friggin awesome !!!. Thanks .

5. 5 Ali H Aug 27th, 2007 at 9:38 pm

Great work! I’ve found this tool to be very useful.

One small problem I noticed:

If I have two browsers open, both on my iGoogle homepage, and I click “In” to start activity on one of the two browsers, and after a while switch over to the other browser, forget that I was in already and click “In” on the same activity on my other browser window, the time will start and start counting from the incorrect time. (It should actually just ignore my second attempt to click in as I was already in on that activity).

A brilliant peace of software! I love it.

6. 6 9Val Aug 28th, 2007 at 7:23 am

I’m writing a little review of your product for russian users and have encountered some problems when:
    1. activity name contains cyrillic symbols and I click ‘Graph’ or ‘Log’ I get the page which uses utf-8 encoding, but it is not specified in HTML code so I need to switch it in browser manually
    2. again, clicking ‘Graph’ or ‘Log’ gives question marks instead of month when the browser’s default locale is set to ru_RU (even after manual switching to utf-8)

If you wish to perform any additional testing or have questions feel free to mail me.

Thanks.

7. 7 Mahin Aug 28th, 2007 at 8:26 am

Hi Ali and 9Val,
    thanks very much for trying out. I will look at the issues that you pointed out.

thanks again,
    Mahin

8. 8 9Val Aug 28th, 2007 at 12:42 pm

Mahin,

Now the second problem is solved while first still exists and became a little bit harder - now it uses utf-8, but text is wrong, any encoding switching does not correction

9. 9 9Val Aug 28th, 2007 at 1:48 pm

Perhaps I’ve got it. It seems to be double utf-ed, i.e. like it was originally in utf and after that was again utf-encoded…

10. 10 Bob Aug 28th, 2007 at 9:19 pm

This is great. i’m luving it. very simple and has everything i needed. and best of all it goes well with all my other google gadgets. thanks !!

11. 11 Mahin Sep 4th, 2007 at 10:28 pm

The problem with international characters should now be fixed. Enjoy !!

12. 12 Matthew Venamore Sep 6th, 2007 at 6:30 pm

Hi,
    This is great. Any chance you could create it as a Vista sidebar gadget too?
    Thanks. :)

13. 13 Mahin Sep 6th, 2007 at 9:48 pm

I am working on making this gadget available for Windows Vista sidebar users. I will update this page once it is done.

14. 14 Fox Sep 12th, 2007 at 12:38 pm

Luv the gadget - a great way to track time across projects. Is there any way to collapse the view only partially, so the only thing visible are the activities and the In/Out buttons? That would allow me to see more projects on the screen and remove the LOG, CLEAR LOG, RESET, etc. buttons until I need them. Thanks!

15. 15 Wahoo Oct 6th, 2007 at 4:48 am

Thank you for sharing!

16. 16 Ed Oct 11th, 2007 at 4:43 pm

I was pretty excited stumbling upon Activity Tracker (as this is pretty much the only way to find widgets - searching is futile or non existent. You might want to complain to Google) Anyway, it is cool. But I think useless. Unless I can adjust my start or end time at any time, even during the ‘Activity’ then it is useless. I never remember to ‘punch in’ on time and if I can’t set the actual time (like 30 minutes later or the next day) then what good is it, especially considering I have difficulty remebering when I started even 30 minutes later because I am so wrapped up in my work. You see… I NEED software like this to function.

17. 17 Mahin Oct 15th, 2007 at 10:14 pm

Hi Ed,
    Currently you can do the same by editing the total hours spent on an activity. I will look into providing a feature where one can edit the start time/end time.

thanks,
    Mahin

18. 18 Anagramster Oct 18th, 2007 at 7:02 am

I’d like to have more than one of these active on a tab. It doesn’t work. I’d like to be able to name each one.

19. 19 BJ Oct 29th, 2007 at 12:47 am

Luv it!! This is great work just what I was looking for. Really looking forward to a Vista Sidebar version.

20. 20 Michelle Nov 6th, 2007 at 1:59 am

Just wondering if it were possible to have a setting where you can enter your timezone (eg I’m 10 hours ahead of GMT). The times in the logs don’t match the times/days that the tasks were done because the tool uses its server’s clock. When I look at my logs, it’s 10 hours out, which makes it a pain in the bum when it comes time to putting the info into an invoice.

Other than that, this is the first time I have ever consistently used a time tracking process of any kind - it’s so easy. Everything else takes up too much time (!).

Thank you so much - you gadget is an integral part of my Google dashboard - I run my business using it. Thanks!

21. 21 Mahin Nov 6th, 2007 at 3:23 am

Hi Michelle,

I already have code in the server to detect your timezone. I think the code was not able to detect your timezone and defaulted to GMT.

22. 22 Michelle Nov 6th, 2007 at 5:58 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. Must have been a temporary glitch - the times are OK now. I really like how punching into one activity automatically punches you out of your last activity. Is it possible to download all the task logs in CSV at once?

23. 23 Paul Nov 10th, 2007 at 2:31 pm

Thanks so much. This is an awesome gadget and I’m going to run my business on it. I use a Macbook Pro now (because of Vista) and would like to be able to use this on my Dashboard, and have it sync whenever I go online. Don’t even know if this is feasible, but I can dream. Fantastic tool!

24. 24 Nathan Dec 5th, 2007 at 3:42 pm

Does not work on X64 bit Vista. WHen clocked in the time just remains at 0.

25. 25 Mindy Dec 5th, 2007 at 4:09 pm

This is such a cool gadget!! Is it possible to show a tally of the hours punched in for the day to see if we have enough chargeable hours in a day? Also, is it possible to show the time in 12 hour clock instead of 24 hour clock? Thanks!!

26. 26 Mahin Dec 6th, 2007 at 1:45 am

hmm.. 64 bit vista should not matter. Can you confirm that it was 0 even after an hour ?

Mindy - I will note that down for my next feature release.

thanks.

27. 27 Eric Dec 11th, 2007 at 1:21 pm

Love this gadget, just what i was looking for. Is there any way to tweak the color scheme or skin?
    thanks, keep up the good work
    Eric

28. 28 DLT Dec 18th, 2007 at 12:58 am

Looks like Michelle asked the same question Nov 6th…

I love this gadget, especially the log feature. I export both the summary log and detailed logs to my computer each week, however, its very time consuming to export the detailed logs individually every week. Is there some way to export all of the details for all of the logs into one file, similar to the summary graph feature? The only problem with the summary is that it only gives the total time spent on a task, and not when it was spent. -DLT

29. 29 jini Dec 18th, 2007 at 3:44 pm

Greetings-
    Great little gadget, just what I needed. Is there anyway we could support OpenOffice Calc as an export option?

Thank you for your time and effort on this gadget, I genuinely appreciate it.

30. 30 Scott Jan 7th, 2008 at 9:11 am

Does this also work for Google Desktop’s sidebar? I can’t find it in the list of sidebar apps (though there are several other time trackers there)

31. 31 Mahin Jan 7th, 2008 at 2:20 pm

Scott - Sorry. it doesn’t work as Google sidebar gadget.

32. 32 Scott Jan 7th, 2008 at 3:12 pm

Any plans to add it?

33. 33 bob Jan 7th, 2008 at 5:47 pm

like mindy said, an option for a 12 hour clock would be great! thank you for this amazing tool.

34. 34 Mahin Jan 8th, 2008 at 3:14 am

Scott - not right now. But if many users are requesting for it, I plan to.

35. 35 Manuel Jan 15th, 2008 at 1:40 pm

Mahin, thanks! This may finally allow me to start tracing my time. It is intuitive and the toggle feature makes it even better. The edit feature was giving me trouble but I think I figure out the user errr part - I also moved to use it under IE and there it seemed more stable.

A suggestion: ability to see a log across all activities, ordered by In Time. That would allow me to fix entries more easily when I forget to punch out/in but still have sme recolection of what I was doing.

Thanks for putting this out. Great work!

36. 36 Durrson Jan 22nd, 2008 at 7:22 am

This is a brilliant gadget, thank you for this!! So easy to track your time..

May I request functionality..

I see that the gadget simply adds the time on each activity and continues to append the data over many days.

It would help if I could run a report at the end of the week and it would detail how long I’ve spent per day on a task

i.e. Monday, [amount of time] spent on [task 1], [task 3], [task 5]

Tuesday, [amount of time] spent on [task 1], [task 2], [task 6]

Wednesday, [amount of time] spent on [task 1], [task 3], [task 6], [task 7]

?

37. 37 Lux Jan 26th, 2008 at 7:50 am

Mahin, I too would encourage you to have this gadget work for Google Desktop’s sidebar? Thanks for a great tool.

38. 38 bill Jan 28th, 2008 at 12:38 am

i think an activity tracker for google desktop would be very helpful too. thanks for the handy tool.

39. 39 Tony Jan 28th, 2008 at 12:28 pm

Great gadget/widget! Any way to redirect the graph tool to build off-line?

40. 40 Sacha Feb 5th, 2008 at 5:45 pm

Mahin,

I would love a google desktop version of this gadget. It would be much easier to access instead of having to have a browser open all the time.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Sacha

41. 41 Brandon Feb 6th, 2008 at 2:28 pm

Mahin,
    My vista sidebar gadget is crashing when I choose “edit.” Any thoughts? 1.2.0

42. 42 SK Feb 7th, 2008 at 8:43 am

Great tool, Mahin. Thanks very much.

One suggestion: in the next version (soon hopefully!) could you add the ability to export the log for all tasks, rather than one at a time? It seems others also have expressed the opinion that this would be very helpful.

Thanks again!

43. 43 Barbara Feb 10th, 2008 at 5:35 pm

I’ve loved your product - excellent for reviewing why I am putting in overtime with my supervisor. However, I need to track one more week after a few days, one of my activities has gotten stuck and no matter what I do, it shows out of this one activity - for 10 days. I have tried resetting, clearing the logs, deleting the activity but nothing has worked so far. An help would be appreciated.
    Barbara

44. 44 platon Feb 23rd, 2008 at 2:15 am

Mahin, this is exactly what I always dreamed of since I´ve started working as a freelancer. There is nothing remotely as intuitive, fast and yet multifunctional. Thank you so much. If I may still request improvement, I would stress
    a) the google-desktop-function because I´m using XP - would that be an offline function or would I still have to be online?
    b) the export-all-at-once function

45. 45 JohnH Feb 23rd, 2008 at 10:36 am

I’ve just started using this gadget and I must admit it makes time keeping a lot easier.

Could you tell me where the logs are stored and what the file names are. I would like to take a copy of the logs before resetting them at the end of the month.

Thanks

JohnH

46. 46 busyconsultant Feb 24th, 2008 at 8:31 am

I am often working on multiple projects at the same time, it would be great if I could have several activities running simultaneously, so I know how long each takes.

I am a software consultant and support many of my clients remotely. While running a program or diagnostic on one machine, I am often also looking at another machine.

Activity tracker is great, but I can only have one activity at a time logging time.

The tool is great, though. Best I have seen yet and I have been looking a long time.

47. 47 Ali H Feb 25th, 2008 at 11:13 pm

Hello,

Thanks for the wonderful software, and for addressing the issue I posed a loooong time ago. I’m switching back to using Activity Tracker from my old kitchen timer after deciding to use my computer to study, rather than having it locked away to avoid distractions.

I’ve noticed a time zone issue. Everything is fine with the “Started” and “In Time” on the actual interface and the detailed logs. The problem is with the new “Show Summary” option. Even though it says I time in at “In Time: 00:56″ (which is technically Tuesday) the minutes are still being added to Monday’s record.

Thanks again for the wonderful piece of software!

48. 48 Durrson Mar 4th, 2008 at 4:57 am

Mine’s not working at the moment, it says “New Feature Update” in red where my categories were and no options to resume using it as normal.. anyone else getting this?

I like the sound of the new changes, similar to what I requested in my previous post, thanks :-)

Just want to make it work now lol

49. 49 bill Mar 6th, 2008 at 5:57 am

Hi Mahin

Great product, which I now use all the time. One small problem I have encountered. As a company we are looking at using Google Apps as it offers neat collaoration tools. I loaded punchclock successfully, but it is the older version. For the life of me I cannot see how to do the upgrade!!

Thanks in advance for any help.

50. 50 free.spirit Mar 31st, 2008 at 7:47 pm

Mahin,

Just downloaded gadget today. Great concept! A couple problems though. 1-Cannot export to Excel or Google docs. Attempts to load but no data appear on the worksheet. 2-Lost all data when moving from graph (opened in a Firefox window) to iGoogle page (opened in second Firefox browser window). Yikes! Glad it was only my first day using the gadget.

Any suggestion how to resolve exporting prob?

Thanks,
    David

51. 51 Mahin Apr 1st, 2008 at 12:20 am

If you click “log” in an activity, it takes you to a page where you can see the export icon. This exports your data in CSV (Comma seperated format). I am working on an option to export all your data to Google calendar
    Regarding problem 2: When you click browser back button, I think the browser gets data from the cache instead of hitting Google.Can you try again by clicking “Shift+Refresh”. Also make sure you wait for atleast 1 second after punch-in or punch-out as depending on your network speed data might take a while to save to Google servers (for IGoogle gadgets).

52. 52 Khouth Chhea Jun 26th, 2008 at 6:43 pm

Mahin,
    I think this is a helpful gadget for time tracking. But even better is a person like you who is willing to share this wonderful staff.
    I have just tried your gadget this morning and find it would be very usefull in tracking my time and activities: personal and work. But I do have one question for you. How can I export all the logs for all the acivities so I can save time instead of exporting each log for each activites.

Your reply is much appreciated.

Good on you Mahin

53. 53 Mahin Jun 28th, 2008 at 11:07 am

@ Khouth Chhea

Exporting all activities in one click will be included in next version of activity tracker.

54. 54 Bevans Jul 7th, 2008 at 12:40 pm

Just wanted to say, I love this app.

However, I’ve recently decided to switch to the Google Desktop Sidebar instead of Vista Sidebar (seems to use less memory, and has more apps available, though it definitely has problems of its own).

So, add my vote for a Google Desktop version.

55. 55 Bob W Jul 21st, 2008 at 1:15 pm

I was able to add Activity Tracker to my iGoogle page but it is not working - I have no add button, only links for “Alert| | | Graph|
    Help?” - any suggestions?

56. 56 Bob W Jul 21st, 2008 at 1:20 pm

Never mind - figured it out! NoScript was blocking googlecode.com… sorry about that :)

57. 57 ArcherID Aug 27th, 2008 at 8:02 pm

Is anyone else having a problem with the Activity Tracker on iGoogle today? It takes a couple of minutes to load my home page, and when it finally does, only the Alert, Graph, and Help? links are showing up; none of my activities. The page lags with a message “Waiting for screeperzone.googlecode.com…”.

58. 58 Mahin Aug 28th, 2008 at 10:35 am

@ArcherID: there were some temporary network issues connecting to googlecode servers.

59. 59 ArcherID Aug 28th, 2008 at 6:41 pm

It works now. Thanks for the reply. BTW, I love the tool. It’s perfect for tracking my billable hours.

60. 60 Patrick Harkins Sep 11th, 2008 at 5:43 am

When I did a new entry for an item today from the edit item interface, it saved, but did not show up in “graph”. It shows up in “log”.
    Does this happen to everyone?
    kind of a problem if you forget to record your time on something….

61. 61 Reeves Sep 12th, 2008 at 8:03 am

I just installed the Vista sidebar and am really excited to use it as time goes on. As an entrepreneur I spend my time on a thousand different things, and now I can track just how well I’m using my time in the office.

I love the graph that compares where I’m spending the most time. I’d love to see a time-line feature so I could see what times of the day I’m really productive and when I’m distracted by less important tasks.

62. 62 Doug Oct 2nd, 2008 at 5:21 pm

Excellent gadget. Would love to be able to export all activities at once. Also, will a version be available for the Android phone? My phone goes everywhere so that would be fantastic!!!!

63. 63 Rick Dec 25th, 2008 at 8:49 pm

This is a godsend piece of software! I just wish there was a way to use it with WinXP. Maybe a port to Stardock’s software goodies?

64. 64 Mahin Apr 3rd, 2009 at 5:02 pm

IMPORTANT: There is a temporary issue with IGoogle Activity tracker gadget.

I have raised this issue in Igoogle developer forum

Thanks

65. 65 Mahin Apr 7th, 2009 at 3:20 pm
  66. 66 Glen Jun 4th, 2009 at 4:06 am

Never mind: the problem is w/me, not the gadget :-(. I was just interpreting the legends & colors of thebuttons as the opposite of what they really represented. Sorry.

67. 67 Rob McKeown Jul 1st, 2009 at 12:46 am

Hi, I’m new to Vista and can’t figure out how to install your Vista Gadget zip file as a gadget under Vista. This gadget looks like something I’ve been looking for a long time now to track time at work. Can you point me in the right direction?

68. 68 Mahin Jul 5th, 2009 at 11:02 pm

Rob,
    Just double click the .gadget file in Vista and it should automatically add to your sidebar.

Mahin

69. 69 Weng Jan 16th, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Hi Mhin,

Thank you very much for the great gadget. I have been using it for almost a year now.

Just a few hours ago, I have accidentally deleted one activity. Is there a way I can restore it?

Here’s my other suggestions:
    1. Enable users to select the starting day of the week.
    2. Enable users to reset to 0 the number of hours if starting a new week.

Those are all for now. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks again.
    Weng

70. 70 phoebe lewis Feb 9th, 2010 at 5:42 am

Is there a downloadable activity tracker widget for macs?

71. 71 Mike Sep 3rd, 2010 at 8:02 am

This tool is brilliant! Two suggestions.

Is it possible to have a single CSV of all Ins and Outs for all activities with dates and notes. Once in a spreadsheet it is very easy to filter and summarise but getting the detail in one place has eluded me.

Also is it possible to have it auto-minimise. The minimised window on the Vista sidebar is so useful but having to click on Minize each time is a drag. A keyboard shortcut would be a next best thing.

Thanks.

1. 1 Igoogle: Capture Where Your Time Goes with the Activity Tracker Gadget | Redslush.com Pingback on Aug 27th, 2007 at 5:55 am
  2. 2 Igoogle: Capture Where Your Time Goes with the Activity Tracker Gadget · TechBlogger Pingback on Aug 27th, 2007 at 6:40 am
  3. 3 » Igoogle: Capture Where Your Time Goes with the Activity Tracker Gadget Pingback on Aug 27th, 2007 at 6:51 am
  4. 4 Igoogle: Capture Where Your Time Goes with the Activity Tracker Gadget : Teknicks Blog Pingback on Aug 27th, 2007 at 7:03 am
  5. 5 Techzi » Blog Archive » Igoogle: Capture Where Your Time Goes with the Activity Tracker Gadget Pingback on Aug 27th, 2007 at 1:12 pm
  6. 6 mutualdistraction.net » Blog Archive » Nifty ‘Activity Tracker’ iGoogle widget Pingback on Aug 28th, 2007 at 2:04 pm
  7. 7 iGoogle Gadget lists - Google Community Pingback on Sep 7th, 2007 at 8:30 pm
  8. 8 Study Hacks » Blog Archive » 20 Simple Ways to Defuse Procrastination Pingback on Sep 18th, 2007 at 6:01 am
  9. 9 e-interiores » Microsoft filtra contenidos del messenger Pingback on Nov 2nd, 2007 at 2:15 am
  10. 10 Activity Tracker - Generate summary of your weekly time report | ScreeperZone Pingback on Feb 23rd, 2008 at 11:03 pm
  11. 11 Organiza tu tiempo con iGoogle (o netvibes) « RubDottoCom Pingback on Mar 12th, 2008 at 1:26 pm
  12. 12 Export / Import / Backup your iGoogle gadgets | ScreeperZone Pingback on Apr 18th, 2008 at 8:28 pm